5.18.2007

Simply Successful Secrets

A month ago Chris Thomas tagged me to post some of my habits. Here they are in no particular order:

  1. I challenge bureaucracy (appropriately): Guidelines and rules are necessary. Needless guidelines and rules are not. Just because things have been done a certain way in the past doesn't mean it's the best for the future, but understanding why it was done in the past is the best way to break out of bureaucracy for the future. Being a disruptor is easy, anyone can do it. You just have to be loud or crazy or do something flamboyant. Being a disruptor who listens, learns, and applies that knowledge to bring about change is hard. I try to challenge bureaucracy with the most appropriate disruption needed.
  2. I read the Bible: I've never been as good at this as I feel like I should but this year I'm reading through the Bible chronologically and it's been amazing to see how much more I'm learning, retaining, and applying.
  3. I give it to you straight: I've had to learn that I can spin about anything and that's not always a good thing. I've also been too blunt in the past. I'm learning to be straight forward even if a spun version is what someone would prefer to hear without being too blunt. There's a fine line between being too blunt and being straight forward. I'm still trying to find that balance but it's become a habit nevertheless.
  4. I say "I love you": I make sure my wife and daughters hear this every single day.
  5. I don't overthink: I try to not overthink any issue. There's a point when you can begin to think too much about a situation, problem, idea, etc. and never actually do anything. I try to make the best decision possible with the most information I have at the time and then move forward.
  6. I surround myself with music: I love to have music on around me. It's rare for us to have a meal at the Seaver house without some good music playing in the background. I think it enhances virtually every experience (expect when you need peace and quiet of course).
  7. I always want to learn: I don't think there is a person or experience that I can't learn from. Even people I'm not fond of can still teach me something and a bad experience often teaches me more than a good one. I ask a bunch of questions (some people say too many) in an effort to learn. I like to read a wide variety of books, blogs, magazines, etc. to learn from as well.
  8. I fight cynicism: I believe cynicism has become a well accepted form of negativity. Pure negativity can be bring people down but cynicism can be really funny and therefore more likely accepted. I don't like when I'm negative and I don't like to be around negative people (even if they're funny and negative) and try to fight it on both fronts.
  9. I kiss my wife and daughters: I don't let a day go by without each of them getting numerous kisses.
So there it is. Not comprehensive but certainly some things that are important habits in my life. Some are more recent additions to my life than others but all are habits I apply regularly.

I'm tagging the following bloggers to get their habits:

No comments: