8.30.2006

Blogging small or nothing at all?

Is it better to blog nothing when you're not sure what to say or to blog something only when you've got a specific topic/story/idea to talk about? That is my dilemma at this moment. Tomorrow I'm planning to post a review of MyChurch.org as they're about to launch their site in beta next week. In the mean time I've been struggling to determine which direction to go for my daily post. I could talk about some new YouTube information that was reported recently or an interesting interview with Steve Rubel of Micro Persuasion over on Rocketboom, but none of that really feels right tonight.

Did your mom ever tell you that "if you can't say something nice, you shouldn't say anything at all?" Mine did and I am better for it. What I've discovered, however, is that you cannot take that same mentality into blogging. Not that I'm advocating ripping people to shreds in blogs, but rather the notion that if you can't say something (or don't know what to say) you shouldn't say (blog) anything at all. I have come to believe the opposite is true.

I believe in the idea that something small is better than nothing at all when it comes to blogging. I also believe that something good regularly is better than something great rarely. The cumulative effect and ultimate success for a blog seems to be tied up as much with its regularity and consistency as its actual content. That being said, perhaps the answer to my opening question is that it's always better to say something even when you've got nothing. It feels a little strange to think that way if you're concerned (as I am) about posting good content...but for now at least I'm going to hold to this idea and see where it goes.

No comments: